1. HOW CAN WE BE SURE THAT THE CHARITIES ARE LEGITIMATELY 501(C)(3) ORGANIZATIONS?
If you are not certain whether your charity is a 501(c)(3) organization, call your charity and request a copy of their letter from the IRS granting 501(c)(3) status. You can also visit the IRS website for more information.
2. CAN A CHARITY BE CONSIDERED MORE THAN ONCE?
Charities can be considered as often as their presenter’s name is chosen from the nomination box. This includes charities that have already been awarded a donation by our group at a previous meeting.
3. CAN A CHARITY BE CONSIDERED THAT IS OUTSIDE OF Dupage County?
Yes. A member can present any qualified charity that falls within the greater Chicagoland area. The appropriateness of the proposed charity will be determined by the group vote.
4. WHAT IF THE VOTE RESULTS IN A TIE?
If two charities tie with the most votes, then there will be a runoff vote between them. If the run-off results in another tie, then the names of both charities will be put in a hat and the winner will be randomly selected. In the case of a three-way tie, the names of all three charities will be put in a hat and the winner will be randomly selected.
5. WHAT KIND OF BEER WILL BE SERVED AT THE EVENT?
We intend to serve unique or reserve beer to our members from breweries you may not have heard of before or something you will not easily find at your local pub. If we are lucky enough, the brewer may attend the event and provide a personalized tasting. The intention is to enjoy excellent and unique craft beer while doing good for the community. Because the beer that is served at each event is donated, the type of beer that is served is ultimately up to the donor.
6. HOW MANY BEERS WILL I BE SERVED?
We intend to serve up to three beers to our members at each event to taste. You should expect the size of the beers poured to be tasting size. The number and size of the beers served to each member will depend on the number of members that attend each event and the amount of the beer donated for that event. Please remember that the main reason you are attending an event is to raise money for a charity. Please Drink Responsibly!
7. CAN A CHARITY BE CONSIDERED EARLIER IF THERE IS A TIME-SENSITIVE NATURE TO ITS NEED FOR FUNDS?
There is no process to advance a charity for consideration outside of the normal selection system.
8. CAN RELIGIOUS CHARITIES BE CONSIDERED?
Yes, as long as they are an approved 501(c)(3) charity.
9. WHAT IF MORE THAN ONE MEMBER WANTS TO NOMINATE THE SAME CHARITY?
More than one member can nominate the same charity. However, if the same charity is selected more than once during the nomination process, the second selection will be set aside. A charity can be presented to the members only one time per event.
10. CAN I BRING SOMEONE FROM THE CHARITY TO HELP ME WITH MY PRESENTATION IF I AM CHOSEN?
No. Only active members of Hops for Humanity can present a charity. However, charities are welcome to join the organization so they can regularly participate. The member’s presentation must be made orally without the assistance of any visual aids such as PowerPoint, brochures or handouts.
11. CAN I MAKE MY CONTRIBUTION WITH A CREDIT CARD?
Yes, Hops for Humanity accepts credit cards, but a convenience fee will be charged. Cash or checks are also acceptable forms of payment.
12. WILL I RECEIVE A RECEIPT/ACKNOWLEDGEMENT FOR MY DONATION?
Cash donations will receive a receipt from Hops for Humanity. Your cancelled check or credit card statement serves as your receipt. If you require extra documentation, please contact a Board member for assistance.
13. WILL MY CONTACT INFORMATION BE SHARED?
No. Your contact information will not be shared with anyone, and the chosen charity will not receive your personal information.
14. CAN I VOTE IF I CANNOT ATTEND A MEETING?
No, you must be present at a meeting to vote. We only count the votes of members that are present. To remain a member in good standing, you must still make a donation even if you cannot attend the event.
15. HOW WILL I BE NOTIFIED OF THE WINNING CHARITY IF I AM UNABLE TO ATTEND A MEETING?
You will receive an e-mail from Hops for Humanity following each meeting.
16. HOW IS THE DONATION PRESENTED TO THE WINNING CHARITY?
The presenter of the winning charity should be prepared to be a part of the process for presenting the donation. Our goal is to present the donation to the chosen charity within two weeks of our event.
17. ARE THERE ANY HIDDEN COSTS OF JOINING THIS GROUP?
The only additional cost you may incur is a convenience fee of $4.00 if you use a credit card to make your donation. All quarterly membership donation money goes directly to the selected charity. Any additional monies raised during the event for raffles, etc. may go to cover the overhead costs for Hops for Humanity. There are no additional costs for the event space or the craft beer you will enjoy.
18. IF I AM UNABLE TO CONTINUE MY PARTICIPATION WITH HOPS FOR HUMANITY, WHAT ARE THE CONSEQUENCES?
None, we would appreciate if you would notify us if you can no longer participate, but there are no consequences. We operate on the “Honor System,” so we hope that members have joined in good faith, but we understand that circumstances sometimes change.
19. CAN I BRING A GUEST TO AN EVENT IF THEY ARE UNSURE IF THEY WANT TO BECOME A COMMITTED MEMBER AND JOIN HOPS FOR HUMANITY?
Yes, we welcome guests to all of our events. However, guests are still required to make a donation of $100 but do not have any voting rights. If the guest chooses to become committed member that evening, he or she will then have the opportunity to vote.
20. What are the best ways for charities to participate and be considered?
Charities are encouraged to join our organization to increase their likelihood of being chosen.